The VFW traces its roots back to 1899 when veterans of the Spanish-American War (1898) and the Philippine Insurrection (1899-1902) founded local organizations to secure rights and benefits for their service: Many arrived home wounded or sick. There was no medical care or veterans' pension for them, and they were left to care for themselves.
In their misery, some of these veterans banded together and formed organizations with what would become known as the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States. After chapters were formed in Ohio, Colorado and Pennsylvania, the movement quickly gained momentum. By 1915, membership grew to 5,000; by 1936, membership was almost 200,000.
VFW 3440 FORMED
On February 1, 1936 Post 3440 Veterans of Foreign Wars was Chartered. Frank C. High along with 26 other veterans formed the organization in Bandon Oregon.
Frank Charles High was a United States Army soldier Private who received the Medal of Honor on April 4, 1906 for his actions during the Philippine-American War. High was one of thirteen members of Young's Scouts, Company G, 2nd Oregon Volunteers awarded the Medal of Honor for actions between May 13 and May 16, 1899. With 21 other scouts, High charged across a burning bridge, under heavy fire, and completely routed 600 of the enemy who were entrenched in a strongly fortified position. He was born on June 7, 1875 and died on December 13, 1966.
On April 24, 2018, the post was officially named Frank C. High Medal of Honor Post No. 3440 Veterans of Foreign Wars.
The VFW Post 3440 Auxiliary was chartered on August 21, 2015.